Wednesday, February 29, 2012

APLNG 595 Internship: Teaching ESL 015 and ESL Instructor Development Program



Textbook for ESL015, Spring, 2012

ESL 015 (Composition and American Academic Communication II) is a required course for all freshmen who speak English as a second language (please refer to the “syllabus” and the “weekly topics” in attached files). The course aims at familiarizing students with American academic writing practices, such as paraphrasing, quoting, and summarizing. Three genres—critique essay, compare and contrast essay, and argumentative essay— are introduced with these practices to expose students to the diversity of academic writing.



Before teaching this spring, I observed an ESL015 class for a semester and tutored a student from that class. However, real teaching is always beyond the observation. Although most of the materials were given and the main topics were all assigned, I still felt unconfident until I walked into the classroom. 
Class observation, Fall, 2011



I found my observation notes are really helpful in terms of locating students’ difficulties and modify the materials. For instance, when teaching APA format, I gave students samples and spent more time on hands-on reference writing (e.g., defining resource typeà choose the correct form) (please refer to the attached PowerPoints; these lessons are what I particularly satisfied with).

Reading texts for ESL 015



Meanwhile, teaching two classes taught me in terms of pacing, adjusting materials, and interacting with students. Although my two classes were very different in their language backgrounds and learning experiences, it was helpful to gather their reactions from one class and make adjustments in another. However, the most interesting but challenging part was giving feedback impetuously. I then realized that this experience can never be learned from teacher’s guides.


Going along with my teaching the development program was very supportive. The program’s setting was identifying one specific topic instructors would like to solve, collecting evidences, and developing a toolkit for dealing the problem (please refer to the file: instructor developing program). I worked with my colleague Kaushi, an expert writer and experienced teacher, to design toolkits for increasing students’ reading comprehension. Through meeting and discussing, I got her mediations, and got a more thorough understanding about why and what I could do.

Teaching ESL 015, 2012, Spring: Compare and contest essay

      To summarize, the internship helped me reorganize and reflect on my beliefs. Moreover, it involved the process of scientific knowledge goes down and everyday knowledge goes up. Without this internship, I would never know the other half of picture of learning teaching.       
With students from ESL015 section 009

No comments:

Post a Comment