Friday, March 2, 2012

WL ED 400 Foundations of Second Language Teaching






This course led teacher learners to investigate the process of second language learning and becoming bi- or multilingual. Two topics were explored through analyzing research as well as teacher learners’ language learning experience (Spanish or Kichwa learning) in Ecuador.

      The first response paper reviewed the epistemology changing of SLA research (please refer to the attached file response paper 1). Moving from Karshen’s monitor theory, I, this time, focused on the shift from the cognitive approach to the social approach, and the role of primary language in language acquisition: how the two approaches interpret the influences of learners’ primary language. My second response paper (please refer to response paper 2) then focused on the implication of primary language in teaching. In these two papers, I reviewed what I learned from the SLA class, and became more competent in putting the theories into practice.
        The final project was a theoretical and pedagogical analysis (please refer to the attached file: final exam) of an essay written by an EFL student from El Salvador. In this analysis, SLA, literacy development, and my experiences with English as well as Spanish learning all collaborated together to make pedagogical decisions.  

Immersion learning surround by various communities


         The course played a special role in my language learning experience and professional development because of its use of immersion learning to help me reflect on the roles of my primary language, English, and the community while learning Spanish in Ecuador. My identity shifted back and forth between a language learner and a language teacher, and I could feel the tension and the collaboration between them. This experience re-energized my passion for language teaching.             
              

No comments:

Post a Comment